National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

I have a more or less complete set of National Geographic Magazines that are bound from 1888 to 1964 with the exception of a missing page in one volume in 1954. I have most of the remaining additions to the present date. The 1888 to 1907 volumes are most likely reprints. My grandfather started the collection in 1902 while ranching in Capital, Montana.

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Darrel,

You will know if the 1888-1907 run are Reprints, based on the following: 1] are they the same size - W x L - as the rest/modern size?, 2] is the paper glossy and of a heavier Lb. make?, 3] they are all stiff, in VERY good condition, 4] they will a have a small "Reprint" printed on the covers, below the general Magazine info.

I am curious, did you actually go through (collate) every page in all issues to find potential missing pages? Well if so, 1 missing page is no big deal, but is it an advertisement page or an article's page?

Hope this helps alittle. You might consider selling the 1888-1907 period separate,as these are worth quite a bit (4 figures actually $$). We can talk more about that if you like.

~ Scott T. Shier
joekool96@msn.com
Hi Scott,

Based on your discription the 1888-1907 run are Reprints. They are in VERY Good Condition and have had very little use since my Grandfather received them. The missing pages in the May 1954 volumn were found by Cunningham Press as they were preparing to bind six months of 1954 NGM's. I checked and the missing pages are a part of an atricle. Thanks for your help and information. Since I have never delt with the sale of a collection I would have thouhgt that it would be better to sell the collection as a unit rather than piecemeal.
Darrel Juve
darreljuve@wb4me.com
Hi Darrel,

I am sorry I didn't follow up on your last comments. You are astute - the NGM 1964 Reprint volumes should be kept together to be sold as full-set. I can give you a contact name or 2 if you'd like, in finding some leads to a buyer.

The full set, in all practical terms, should/would not go for less than $2,000.

talk with you soon I hope!

- Scott S.
I would like to sell all of my National Geographics including the reprints. I think if I sell the reprints seperately I will have a more difficult time selling the other volumns. I am also willing to pay a commission on the sale of the entire set. Any suggestions would be appreciated an thanks for your help.
Darrel
Darrel,

I'll get back to you on this. Let me talk to someone first.

Regarding the full set, can you descibe for me the binding type/appearance (1908-1964)? To verify, you have 1965-present as individual issues?

- be prepared to make a listing of what is MISSING if/when applicable,

- some photos (digital) will be neccessary,

- will need to know if you have the map & pic supplements which were issued and inserted...

talk soon,

Scott S.

p.s.
when I mentioned $2,000 minimum for set, I was referring to 1888-1907.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service