National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

125 Years: 1888-2013 ~ 3-vol. deluxe masterpiece set by Taschen & N.G.S.

Nat Geo Society ~ 125 years --  'Around the World' . . . (no problem!)

Hello 'Corner,

In the last months of the 125th Anniversary year of the Society and Magazine comes the creme de la creme "Rolls Royce" of any book about/by Nat Geo ever produced. This time, it's a tour of the world over 125 years, from National Geographic's perspective. 

Item info. + descrip. ----->   http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/02894/facts.national_geographic_around_the_world_in_125_years.htm

The noted publisher TASCHEN produced this one, and their staff did most of the work, while camped out at N.G.S. headquarters for likely a long-term project. The book set has already been garnering media & press attention. It was released for public sale in November, and just this week on Monday (Dec. 9th), was featured in a segment on CBS This Morning. 

link here:   

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/national-geographic-showcases-125-years-of-amazing-images/

The official National Geographic web site/press release (Nov.) video clip is here:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/community/video/37393.national_geographic_around_the_world_in_125_years.htm

Corresponding to this book, is a thematic art & photography (retrospective celebration) exhibition -- sponsored by the Annenberg Foundation; it runs from October 2013 - April 2014, in Cali. ; other bookings may materialize after that.

Info. here:

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/community/events/3871.the_power_of_photography_national_geographic_125_years_at_the_annenberg_space_for_photography.htm

Sometime in October, the book set debuted on the NG Store website, but as of my posting today, it is absent for some reason. The item link showcased and detailed the set, but the standard purchase link was a direct link to TASCHEN.com, the only way it can be purchased.

Notably, and as indicated in the official NGS press video, some 40+ living current/former NGS photographers gathered and signed 5 sets (3 vol.'s each), such that each signer was signing a specific photo that was one of their own. (It has not been made clear if they were to sign the exact same photo/page # per the 5 sets or not . . . it seems possible they could have varied it from one set to the next).

Significantly   --though not surprisingly?--   that 5th signed set just sold via Christy's for an astronomical $$ sum $$. Actual TASCHEN homepage text as follows:

" National Geographic Book (set) Number 5 goes for $13,000 at Christie’s

On December 3nd, the Christie’s auction Timeless: National Geographic as celebrated by TASCHEN books closed with a winning bid of $ 13,000 for book number 5 of National Geographic: Around the World in 125 Years, a 3-volume tribute to National Geographic. Book set number 5 is the ultimate heirloom, being one of only five sets signed by 43 of the most influential former and currentNational Geographic photographers, in a limited edition of 125,000 individually numbered copies filled with over a century’s worth of incredible photographs from the magazine’s archives. Book number 1 will be gifted to President Barack Obama and numbers 2–4 will be kept by both National Geographic and TASCHEN for their personal archives. "
WOW !   . . . actual link --->   http://www.taschen.com/
I hope this may be of interest to the 'Corner members. Now, this IS a pricey set! Obviously the print qty. edition of 125,000 is symbolic of the "125" yrs. I wonder how the after-market/2nd-hand value for this release will fare over the coming years and decades...?
Cheers,

Views: 437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scot,

WOW.. This set is now at the top of my Christmas List

Phil

Philip,

Ha-ha . . . you know it! I also referred this to my family when they hound me for "a list". My sister's and mine birthdays are in January, so while I don't usually actually ever give anyone lists, this time I suggested they go in on it together for me, and if they wish, combine it as a joint xmas/b-day gift. 

*crossing fingers. 

p>s>

it was all I could do not to instantly order this in Oct/Nov. -- restraint is a virtue?

So, did anyone get this book for Christmas? 

Hi Chuck,

Yes, I received this as my joint Xmas/Birthday gift. It's really something! Were you interested in it? Amazon.com (and perhaps Barnes & Noble) have it for somewhat less, though I suppose they are "authorized". 

Did you have any questions about the set? I plan to take some of my own pictures of the set and post them in my 125th Anniversary Photo Album, available for viewing by all 'Corner members. 

cheers,

~  Scott S.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service