National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Cover Variants to the January 2022 Issue of the National Geographic Magazine

Cover Variants to the January 2022 Issue

As most collectors know by now, the January 2022 issue of our magazine has four variants advertised within its pages.  My copy of each is shown below.

If you notice, the last variant shown has the heading "2021 | The Year in Pictures" at the bottom of the cover instead of immediately below the magazine name as with the other three.  This was done due to the photograph selected.  Because of the heading's location, it was moved up to make room for a barcode on the Newstand issue of this variant.  The other three have newsstand versions identical to the subscription ones with the added barcode.

It is even more noticeable when the issues are placed side-by-side.

Tom Wilson

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this Tom. I already ordered 3 of the covers from the NGM back issues website (the same place to get slipcases now), to go w/ the subscription cover I received. I think they're arriving today, as I have an email notification about a delivery coming. 

Scott

You're welcome, Scott.  The issue promotes the fact that it is the second annual "year in pictures" issue.  By extension, they may repeat this multi-cover run next year, probably depending on the extra sales they generate.

That should make 8 different covers!

No, the other three's newsstand versions only have a barcode added, but the photo and location of the verbiage are the same as on the subscription versions.  Notice how the title is bumped up on the last version; that doesn't happen on the other three.

So there are 5 versions?

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service