National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Included in this issue (be it an original, 1964 reprint, and/or 1922 reprint) is an “unnumbered page” of a picture titled “UPPER CASTILLO_RIVER SAN JUAN” in all caps, complete with underlined space.

This picture immediately follows page 326 in all print versions (to the best of my knowledge).

I do not have an original copy of this issue, one of, if not the rarest of all NGS magazine issues, even more rare than the October 1888 issue.

I do have a bound 1964 reprint and a loose 1922 reprint issue.

The anomaly is my 1922 reprint with a binding error that has two back-to-back unnumbered pages of the same picture bound within the issue immediately following page 326.

Has anyone else with a 1922 reprint encountered this anomaly?

Has anyone with an original OR a 1964 loose issue reprint encountered this anomaly?

Thank you for your interest!

Mel

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Melvin
I have two original versions of Vol 1 # 4, the 1922 reprint and the an individual and bound 1964 reprint. All of them are consistent with the image you mentioned on an unnumbered page following page 326, with the reverse side a blank page, also unnumbered. The next page then begins numbering again at page 327. There are several such unnumbered pages with images throughout the magazine.

Are you saying that your 1922 reprint has two copies of the same image, i.e. instead of a blank reverse page, the image is repeated, or is the whole page just inserted twice? In any case, this would definitely be an anomaly.
Cheers
Dale
Dale,

Thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated!

My 1922 reprint has two whole pages inserted twice, with the unnumbered picture on one side and a blank unnumbered page on the reverse .

Kindest Regards,

Mel

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service