National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Mastheads differing in the same binding & edition/printing date of Molloy and some cloth hardbacks

Bill Cole and I have discussed and certainly emailed about this, and
for one easy way to tell the later bindings of pre-1920 titles
(especially the black bound ones) is they will have mastheads with
Charles Evans Hughes who did not join the trustees until after his SC
CJ predecessor William Howard Taft died in 1930. Some of the black-
bound books have mastheads as late as 1956-1957 so far as I have found,
but still had publishing (now LoC) data from say 1925 for Book of
Cattle.

For those not into minutiae of collecting and are not so compulsive as
to even check these things, this thread probably is not of any interest
any way this develops, and I hope it does. So besides Bill and I, I
hope others will give input.

For similar OCD, also checkout the blog thread on
Invitation/Subscription versions of special publications and most
hardbound titles from 1975ish through mid 1990s and further ffor
quarterly special publication subscriptions.

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul,

...Without ever really focusing on what you are describing, I subconsciously noticed this too. Since I grab extra copies here or there of the old vintage NGS books, I have seen some variations on content - not just the cover boards.

Usually I get extras in order to find an "upgrade" copy (condition). Also, OCD-ish me, I started acquiring the brown buckram copies, THEN decided that yes, I did want the black/embossed Molloy versions instead!

: )

- Scott S.
I had on an old computer pretty detailed lists of variations, but its crash cost me all that inputting, and I simply have not attempted to recreate. If we were to upload here, it might be an universally beneficial listing
Hmmmn, yes it could be, (and in theory) it would remain permanent, with any updates possible. Obviously, if something were to happen with this site somewhere down the road, then the running list could merely be copied by any of us.

So, what other type "lists" could there be (and that you or Bill or JC have already done...) ?

speak later,

Scott

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service