National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

OLD MAP Germany, September 1, 1939 THe day Germany Invaded Poland

Hello Everyone,

My name is Barbara

I have a map that is 75 years and the Editor of this map was Mr. Gilbert Grosvenor.

According to the Wikipedia "The Free Encyclopedia" Grosvenor was hired in 1899 as the first full-time employee of the National Geographic Society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Hovey_Grosvenor

According to http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp...

Mr. Gilbert M. Grosvenor served as President of National Geographic Society from1980 to 1996. Mr. Grosvenor was editor of National Geographic magazine from 1970 to 1980, when he became the Society's 14th president. Mr. Grosvenor serves as Chairman of National Geographic Education Foundation at National Geographic Society.

I have been trying to find someone who would be able to tell me the true value of this map. I have talked to many people in my town and to me it felt more of a GUESS....nobody truly know how much this map is worth... a few places offered $1,000 for it and there was other places that offered way , way , way more....i am not going to quote that amount simply because I don't want that amount to be a driven source of discussion. I just want to know a true value

please e mail me either or at zuza0801@yahoo.com

thank you kindly

Barbara

NOTE: I have more pictures that I would love to share.....the map itself has this thick texture .. I use white gloves when I touch this map... its very old....and this map end up somehow in Poland....and it was given to my mother...who has no interest of keeping this map at all...she look at me and she said do you wanted....and I think I was 13 years old..... I kept tis map just because I felt like I was given a treasure.... and I was guarding this map like there was no tomorrow.....:-)

again....thank you

Views: 165

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Barbara,

This map is the July 1944 supplement to the magazine.  Currently there are three for sale on eBay with prices ranging from 9.99 to 99.00.  Judging from your photos, your copy appears to be in poor condition so I would put it at the lower end of this range.  I hope this helps.

Tom Wilson

Mr. George Thomas Wilson

to be honest with you right now I feel a little sad and angry.

I was hoping this map was worth a little bit more

I guess to what you just said I lost lots of money

I was offered $1,000 for it and when I was in Chicago (in March) this man was offering me seven times more CASH for this map.

:-( I truly thought this map could be worth much more.....and here I am ......

thank you so much for your e mail.

Barbara

Barbara,

There were 1.5 million copies  of your map  printed and distributed just with the July 1944 monthly magazine  plus countless others distributed to the troops fighting in Europe in 1944. It was a very, very common map. I hope this helps you realize the value of your map.

Best,

Phil

Dear Phil

thank you for your respond.

I got this map from Poland .... so you are correct there.....by looking on this map you can tell this map has been heavily used...... it all makes sense now....now I  wonder who used this map....

again ... thank you so much

Barbara

Well documented provenance could enhance the value of the map, i.e. did some well-known person carry this map with him during the allies’ advance through Germany during the war?

Mr. Melvin L De Vilbiss

you are correct there.... I have been wondering about that too.... who carried this map..by the look of this map you can tell the map has been heavily used and has been through a lot....map has numerous stains... and now its hard to tell what they are..... either water...blood.....mud....time..... could be anything.....however, it would be nice to know.....

Thank you so much

Barbara

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service