National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Hi there. I recently finish my undergrad and will be able to start a collection I wanted for a long time of NG cause I have some $. I would like to buy a full collection from 1975ish to today for about 300-500 depending the conditions. Since I live in Canada I rather deal with a Canadian or someone near Detroit, MI to avoid duty.

Thanks

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello,

I can very gladly provide the collection you want, from 1975 to the end of 2008, all in very good condition for $250. canadian. But that leaves only one problem: the cost of postage to ship about 350 lbs of magazines (about 400 of them), even within Canada.
If somehow you could come and pick them up here, I will even take off another $50. to help with the gas. Otherwise, I can try to find the cheapest shipping rates but I know it will be expensive. Please let me know your thoughts...
Well that would work awsome cause I'm actually from St-Agapit Québec and will be coming home soon (like september 3rd) So I would be able to pick them up then. How far back would you sell me for 350$. And do you have all full years.

Thanks
Ray Groothuisen in Ottawa may be too far, but search ABONG for his A Bookshelf of National Geographics
If you were seeking 300-500 issues that is one thing but if you were expecting $300-$500 either U.S. or Canadian do not acept anything but nearly pristine isssues in the official marroon Society slipcases, and even for such a set it would be high

Normal reading copies in these years ought to be under $150 and even then the issues are worth less than the slipcases

Search some of the posts on here as such sets have been offered

Hope this helps and happy collecting
Paul
Houston
Thanks a lot for the great advice! Really new at this so didn't really know realistic price range.

Agains thanks Paul
Sorry it took me a bit of time to reply. Great if you could come down here this week. I have full year sets back to 1940, most in very good condition and including all supplement maps, and will make you the best possible deal. Also have 1888-1987 and 1988-1997 indexes for sale and many older bound issues...Please Email me at Jeanthi@abacom.com or call (819) 884-5918 anytime, except early in the morning.
Hope that you have access to collector's corner whereever you are. Again, all my year sets from the mid sixties to 2008 are for like-new magazines and include all maps. Also have full sets in good condition back to 1941 and others back to 1924. Also bound issues available back to 1917, including a very nice matched set from 1975 to 1997. I am in the Sherbrooke, Que. area and will give you my address and directions as soon as I hear from you. Nobody will give you a better deal if you come here and pick up your collection.

Must have a couple of hundred or so of the slipcases, none of which I have paid a significant amount to acquire and don't see any reason to change. The idea that these empty cardboard boxes are more "valuable" then the magazine with all it's contents is to me clearly dishonest and downright stupid, especially under the present circumstances. What a great way to "inform" a new collector.
Sorry took a while to reply as well. We just miss each other cause I'm getting on the plane tomorrow 2 go to South Africa to volunteer for 6 months so will have to see when I come back.

Cheers

Thanks for the offer and time, we just got bad timming lol :P
Je te souhaite un bon séjour en Afrique du Sud. C'est un de ces endroits que j'aimerais le plus visiter sur cette planete. Et si jamais tu penses encore au NGM a ton retour, tu n'as qu'a me le laisser savoir.

Bon voyage,

Jean
My comment on comparative value of post 1975 magazines as against their slipcases is borne out by vast experience. Soceity slipcases probably number in the hundreds of thousand, and the further back one goes, the fewer there were purchased (and likely produced). Compare that to ten million subscriptions, of which one 1990s poll showed 1.8 million households kept for one to five years rather than monthly disposal. Probably can add another 500,000 plus professional subscriptions left around waiting rooms, which was my chief complaint with the study. Second complaint was no proof that they hit significant number of actual subscribers, since it was a random sampling. I still suspect the 1.8 million retaining households like under counted NGM households, which ranked about where Readers Digest retainers were. So upwards of 2 million copies of recent magazines are retained compared to a hundred thousand or so slipcase collections.

Do the math, they are scarcer and because empty they ship cheaply, slipcases are more valuable on the second hand market than the issues they are intended to contain. Especially for my purposes of housing duplicates. I frequently can't give away magazines more than five years old, while any vintage slipcase goes out the door as soon as I offer it up

Happy Collecting
Paul
Houston
I agree with you Paul.
I have a complete collection from 1912 to present, all in slipcases. The slipcases cost more than the mid 1960's mags to present.
Also, the ww2 year mags do not fit (you can't get 6 mags in a case of some of the wartime mags).
Buy your cases on an auction site--they are too expensive from NG.

Pete Hicks

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service