National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Note:

this post has been transferred to the new sub-group for memorable moments in NG history.

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice recap Scott, thanks!

Mel

Scott,

I'm sure you are aware that I have been working to have a complete, individual issue, collection of the NGM; and that I am using these reprints to achieve that goal.  Today I reached that goal.  My collection includes 100 of these 50 year old items (including all 36 "red bricks") and 79 originals from the first 20 years.  I have at least one reprint from each of these 20 years except for 1902.  I got a great deal for the entire year of originals (including the 2 part Feb. map).

I'll be posting a thank you to all soon.

Tom

Tom .... that's great ! Congrats on this milestone. May I ask, what issue has the honor of being your last issue?

Mine was April 1913 (a beautiful copy btw).

My red-banner date for collection (NGM) completion was November 2013, for the official day that I finally had all my issues // ie, finished my full run. Of course, this was only by way of the bound 1964 set with all individual issues from Jan. 1908 - present. Some collector's don't consider that as having a full set, or a full run though.

Way back when, I preferred having all the single reprint issues for 1888-1907, but all the "necessity" and energy to do that evaporated once I had my bound set. Also, I had a series of unfortunate events transpire each time I procured a single reprint copy, and that's another tale, but that also figured largely in turning me away from that initiative...

As for my NGM map supplements, I also (finally) completed my full set thus also in November 2013, and it was the February 1914 Mexico map. I felt a surreal sense of "wow" all this time and hunting and wishing and etc.

So Tom, do you think you'll partly miss the hunt, now that you finished? Human nature is odd in that many people instantly become bored with their collection-hobby once they finished. As if it's like a let-down or some such. I don't think that I felt that way, but I instantly moved into high-gear right after that to expedite and complete both my full-run of Smithsonian magazine, and American Heritage. I'm almost done with those, and also now on my side radar is their sister magazines, Air & Space, and Horizon, and Invention & Technology.

I think I might be a magazine addict...? If so, at least I have a taste for quality ones at that (so I hope!).

~ Scott

P>S>

I have all the NG Green issues, and 33 of 40 of the NGS Research (& Exploration) Journal.  I was really hoping to obtain that WORLD set Cathy posted on the 20th, but alas I wasn't first in line. Big bummer - those are sentimental to me. And to think I declined Bill Cole's offer to buy them a few years ago. He had had a full collated set in lovely condition with ALL original inserts, posters, games, and paper kits!!

Scott,

I ordered my last 3 "red brick" reprints on Thanksgiving and got them today, so I don't have any one "last issue".  I do have a full map/supplement collection and (thanks to you) a full volume/annual index collection.

I'm still looking to upgrade my index collection by replacing 5 "table of content only" versions with the full versions -and- am always on the lookout for more map indices.

On a side note, I also have a full Playboy collection with one of those issues also being a reprint.

Tom

Ah.

* it never would have occurred to me that PB ever would have done reprints, hehe.

just issue 1 (M. Monroe)

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service