National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

I purchased at an Estate Auction a whole bunch of NG, and in the mix was an August 2007 issue of NG with New Orleans "Should It Rebuild?" with a picture of an unbroken levee on the front cover. Supposedly this was a limited print newsstand copy that never made it to Subscription print.  I cannot find ANY information or value, other than this article:

https://mrmagazine.wordpress.com/2007/08/02/new-orleans-not-good-en...

I called NG themselves (and also chatted online), they have no record of this printing (or the 10 various folks were looking in the wrong files?)  I did speak to a supervisor in the single issue/old print area and she suggested I go to Ebay or Craigs list to find this one.  Neither have it.

Does anyone have any information they can share with me?  I am looking to possibly sell it.

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has been a month since I posted this.  Is there anyone that can help me?

JB,

I noticed your post when you made it.  I don't think I can be of any help to you; but with the circulation in the millions even a "limited print" of this cover could be in the tens of thousands.  Its uniqueness is limited to the cover, the rest of the magazine is the same as the rest of the issue in question.  As for its value, I haven't a clue.

I am quite surprised that no one else has helped you.  There are many knowledgeable people here at the 'Corner.  I guess that they are either stumped, or away from the site for an extended period.  Good luck on finding the info you desire.

BTW: I have a discussion on the "Ephemera" group (see left hand column on the main page) specifically about alternate covers, and I am about to include this one to it.  I will be give you credit for pointing it out to me.

Tom Wilson

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate you replying to my post.  I was told by an antique expert to just hold on to it for now until more information is available.  I am quite surprised by my calls to Nat Geo that nobody can nail this special edition down (Really? Nobody at Nat Geo knows about this issue?).  I truly appreciate any help anyone can give, and again, am sincerely appreciative of your interest in my quest to identify this unique issue.

PS.  I will definitely check out the Ephemera posts, as I am collecting any/all issues during estate sales (regardless of issue year/date).  I have many old years unwrapped and look forward to preserving past issues. I will keep an eye out on those as well.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service