National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

I recently ordered a 1943 world map from the USA as part of a crafty project to mount on a canvas, however now the map has arrived I'm wondering whether this is actually a waste of a valuable map...

I'd appreciate any advice/information on potential value and how to tell if the map is an original print or reproduction.

Thanks!

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hannah,

Two Questions:

Since National Geographic published two world maps in 1943, is it the Northern/Southern hemisphere one or the "standard" world map?

More importantly, was this map folded (i.e. a magazine insert) or was it rolled?

Having this info will help in assessing the value.

Tom

I think the standard(?) world map, I've attached a picture for reference.

The map was folded so has a few small holes where the corners are; its not pristine but then if it is really that old the rest of the condition seems very good.

This map came with the magazine as a supplement in December of that year.  Circulation was in the millions and the Society printed many more of these "war era" maps for the military.  They are going for between $3 and $12 on eBay.  Hopefully you got what you paid for it.

Tom

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service