National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

this large print is dated1916, copyright national geographic magazine.photograph by EDDY. GILBERT GROSVENOR editor.it measures approx. 29"x13". it is apicture or a giant seqouia tree. possibly Gen.Sherman. i have owned it for many years. it is in i believe it's original frame. i did'nt know National Geographic produced framed prints like this.are they common? i have never seen another one of any kind. any info. would be appreciated. Thanks,Dan

Views: 638

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan,

Hello how are you? In the 1910's and 1920's the National Geographic Society did indeed offer framed (and unframed) prints of various images. These corresponded to print supplements which were issued with the Magazine itself. Yours is in fact, General Sherman tree, as you thought.

Such prints were: "Argosy of Geography", "Hour of Prayer/Sahara Desert", "Doe and Twin Fauns", "Lure of the Frozen Desert" just to name a few.

Oftentimes people took the supplements and had them framed, though these would bear a crease mark where folded to fit into the Magazine. Other than 2 more prints in the 1930 something and 1957 (Mayflower II), the Society discontinued doing that. In modern times, courtesy of their website you can order framed and unframed prints of a wide variety of their pre-selected photography.

As for scarcity of the old ones like yours, it is hard to say how many were actually done, as the Society did not even keep track themseleves. These do pop up once in a while on eBay, but so far I haven't seen any of the pre-framed ones more than oncer per each print, at least.

Hope this gives you some better idea of what you have. Take care!

- Scott T. Shier
Scott, thanks for the info.it's great to be able to tell people what i have .Dan
This type of picture was often offered for sale through advertisements in the back of the magazines. Your "photograph" is actually a "photogravure" that appeared in the April 1916 issue of the magazine. It is in fact, the General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park in California. The photogravure was offered in an unfolded version "suitable for framing" in the back of the same issue for 50 cents. I have attached a scan of the ad for you, I hope it is readable.

The stated size of the photo is 10 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches, so I am assuming that your measurements include the frame. When I enlarged your pic, I notice that the explanatory notes that are on the magazine issue photo are not there (at the bottom) therefore i think you can safelly assume you have an ordered print.

These things don't s

These things don't show up all that often, even on sites like eBay, so you are probably best to get an antiques dealer or auction house to value it for you.

Thanks for giving me a reason to re-visit some of my older issues!
Debbie, thank you for the info and the scans. i will never part with this piece. it hangs on the wall at the foot of my bed. it's been a favorite find of mine for many years. i love trees,what can i say lol.. the actual size of the photogravure is in fact 26"x11" without the frame. this is an original print impressed by a plate. the plate marks are clearly visable. it's nice to have some info about it when i show it to other people.again, thankyou,Dan
The framed print out to be in thin black wooden mount, and if not tampered with, ought to have a paper label of rear back center or top center. If not foxed at all $50-$100 is probably expected if original frame and never rolled. If a mounted supplement (creases evident) or highly foxed, you are lucky if you get$10
Hope it is in the former category and happy collecting
Paul

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service