National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

A elderly friend just inherited a relative's estate. She has three large priority mail boxes full of new NG maps. Most of them are from the '70's (of the ones I have looked at). She doesn't know how to use a computer, so she asked me to help her sell things. How do I value them and where can they be sold? Ebay and Craig's list, I know, but have no idea how to price them. Are there collector sites or vendors who might want the whole lot of them? Help.

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most maps of that age don't have tons of value. I would suggest going on ebay and either selling them as a lot, or selling them at the price of like .25 cents a map. I may be interested myself if the price is right. Let me know what you are asking before you list anywhere. Thanks
How do I determine value? I searched the Internet to try to find a price guide like with coins or stamps, but couldn't find one. My friend can't use a computer, but I want to do my best for her with regards to price.
Joshua, I went and looked into one box and there were a couple that seemed interesting. One was from 1973 about the Apollo landing that year and another was from 1949 - The boundaries of Poland and Russia as of April 1949. In some of the other boxes there were some duplicates, 2 or 3 of a few of the maps. Would you be interested in all of the maps or just some of them?
Hi !

Unfortunately, Karol, there is no price guide or advice source on collecting for all/any National Geographic items.

Scott T. Shier
For maps of this time there are really no definitive values. Usually they are sold as flat rate or at about .25 cents each. If you want to look up each one and try to determine a value you may be at a loss for that. No one has really put together a price guide for such a thing but you can always search ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/50-National-Geographic-Maps-cartography-1969-Mo...|39%3A1|66%3A3|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ) This link is for a lot of 50 maps from about the era you said. Again since these maps are not really vintage you can't command to much. If you have a list of the years these run you could probably use ebay and search for the years and look at selling prices.
Joshua, are you interested in the maps? You stated that you might be. I would consider an offer, after all, ebay fees would not be involved. I do have a Paypal account, so you would be protected if you are interested in any/all of them.
I would be interested in them. Can you give me a rough estimate of how many maps are there? Thanks
Joshua,

I counted them and there are 495. There are a few additional ones that have something sticky on them. I did not count them. There are also a few old regional maps that are not NG and I did not count those either. I stacked up the boxes on our bathroom scale. The package weighs roughly 45 pounds. I checked USPS for media mail and it would cost roughly $18 without insurance.

Are you interested in them as a lot? Please let me know. Thanks for your interest.
Yes I would be interested in them as a lot. How much are you asking for them as a lot? Also you should see if they can fit into a large flat rate box. If they do fit that is only about $10 to ship. If you would like you can email me at joshbarry@comcast.net to work out the logistics. Thanks
The maps almost completely fill 3 of the large 12 x 12 flat rate boxes. That is why I got a quote for media mail. Each large flat rate box costs $12.95 to ship. The media mail at 45 pounds was $17.98 for a zip code far from mine (I just randomly chose a zip code to get a quote and randomly chose a large box size). I hate to pay a lot for shipping too!!!!!

The maps are printed material, so they should qualify to be shipped media mail. Media mail is slower, but it is half the price of 3 flat rate boxes. I will ask $100 including the cost of media mail shipping, delivery confirmation and $100 insurance for all the maps. There are additional old maps that aren't NG that make the total over 500 maps. My email is rkballew2@oregonfast. net.

I can send pictures of the boxes full later today if you would like. I have a paypal account tied to the email address I put in this post. I looked at completed ebay listings and made my price lower per map than lots were sold for and included the media mail shipping since you are buying the whole lot. I only used the sales price and did not add in the shipping as a cost per map from the completed listings, to determine the price of $100. I am also taking into consideration the convenience of selling them all at once to one buyer. At the same time, I do owe it to my friend to get something out of the maps for her. Thanks for your interest, Karol
For me, $100 is a little much to pay, though I do think it is a good price. I have been collecting for a while so I do have a good number of maps from the time frame you offer. So at that price, I'd be repaying for maps I already have. I am very sorry that I won't be purchasing, but I am sure that there are many others on this site that will be willing. Again my deepest apologies and best of luck selling them! They are a great set of maps.
Thanks for your interest Dylan. I cut the price per map from completed listings of lots on ebay and included the shipping (free so to speak). If anyone else is interested, please e-mail me at rkballew2@oregonfast.net.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service