National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Hi,

I have recently started adding to my collection of NGs. (Currently, I'm complete from 1915 upwards.) I was wondering if anybody knew sure-fire ways of telling what is an original NG and what is one of those ubiquitous 1964 reprints.

Thank-you for your time.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jonathan,

I am sorry to see nobody has replied to your question (myself, I got distracted from this site for a few weeks).

The 1964 Reprints are 20 years from 1888-1907. They were printed w/ extra margin space (white area bordering text blocks) to make them "uniform" size with the other 100 years! If you did not know, the early years were a smaller format.

The word "Reprint" will show at the bottom area (front cover) under the National Geographic Society info. These reprints are also going to be in very good condition (99% of time). The pages were also printed in the heavier, clay-coated paper to make them long-lasting, and certainly less brittle! Thus, they appear and feel glossy. The original issues were more along the lines of the newsprint type paper quality.

In 1975 NGS made some more - unspecified qty. - reprints of No. 1, Vol. 1 ; these have 1975 printed on the inside rear cover. In 1922 they also made reprints (again, "qty." unknown) for No.1, Vol. 1 up to approx. 1895 year I believe (these would be the years of the plain, brick-red covers. Also, recall that the 1st issue commenced October 1888, with the Society itself formed in January, same year. The NG Magazine (journal) was sporatic at first, not being published monthly until Jan. 1896. Up to then, it was either quarterly or a few months here/there. Sometimes, an issue consisted only of 1 article, or merely minutes on the meetings, or announcements.

Obviously, from 1915 +, you need not worry about Reprints or anything. Are you interested at some point in collecting prior to 1915? I'd be happy to chit-chat more with you about this, as I like to talk about Nat Geo alot. Ha-ha.

well, feel free to ask anything else too! IF you already knew what I was saying above, then sorry for repeating it.

- Scott T. Shier

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service