National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

I have been collecting bound Nat'l Geo's with the Albrecht cover. I have not been able to find out over what period of time these covers were available. I have volumes from the early 1920's to the early 1950's. I haven't seen them earlier or later than this.

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Maurice,

I too enjoy the Albrecht covers. I have most of the issues from Vol. 32 (July-December 1917) through to Vol. 77 (1940). Later than 1940 I have individual issues. I do not know the dates when they started or stopped this cover.

Do you have any tips on how best to clean and/or restore covers that seem kind of dry?

Noel
I have liked these bindings since I first saw them 30 years ago, but I could never find a binder who used them With the help of eBay, over the last years I have found most volumes between 1913 and 1993. Since they are leather I use a good leather soap (oil really) and finisher. You can find them for leather coats or furniture.
Thank you Maurice,

I'll try the leather cleaner.

I got most of my Albrecht covers through a dealer in MI. He is in the dealer directory. His name is Richard Root and I can vouch for his honesty.

Noel
Albrecht covers (and any other bindings found) were not done by the National Geographic Society but by binderys for the owners of the specific years. Hence there is no "start and finish" for dates, as it would depend on what years the customer had and wanted bound.

Good luck with your hunt - I found lots of these on eBay a while ago

Debbie K
I have seen 1898 on ebay with an Albrecht cover, and have heard of collections of these going up to thru the 1980's.
At one time, you could buy these as empty covers, and then take your magazines to the bindery to have them bound.
So actually, they could be out there with ANY dates.

So far, I have been lucky enought to assemble a complete set from 1900-1975 and I'm always on the lookout for others.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service