National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Hello all,

My father has a collection of about 30 National Geographic insert maps, in pretty good condition (late 60's, early 70's). We are curious to know if somebody is interested in getting them, and their value as well. Let us know, I can send pictures if anyone is interested.

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Andree,

Do you know if the maps are all pretty much in one "category" . . . like are they all (most all) covering like "oceans", or "Europe", "Antarctica", or such. Either that or they are all assorted and miscellaneous?

If they are any of them "Close-Up U.S.A." series, those are pretty abundantly available.

- Scott Sheir
Hi Scott,

Thank you for helping me out. Well, here is the list:

late 1960's, early 1970's
Archaeological map of Middle America (1968)
British Isles (1974)
Close-up: USA Arkansas Oklahoma Louisiana Texas (1974)
Close-up: USA California Nevada (1974)
Close-up: USA Washington Oregon Idaho Montana Wyoming(1973)
Close-up: USA Wisconsin Michigan and the Great Lakes (1973)
Close-up: USA North Dakota South Dakota Nebraska Kansas Minnesota Iowa Missouri (1974)
Earth's moon (1969)
Eastern Canada (1967)
Eastern Soviet Union (1967)
Europe (1969)
France (1971)
Indians of North America (1972)
Italy (1970)
Lands of the bible today (1967)
Mars (1973)
Mexico (1973)
Middle East (1972)
Ocean floor: Arctic(1971)
Ocean floor: Atlantic (1968)
Ocean floor: Indian (1967)
Ocean floor: Pacific (1969)
Peoples of Africa (1971)
Peoples of Mainland Southeast-Asia (1971)
Southeast Asia (1968)
South America (1972)
United States (1968)
Viet-Nam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand (1967)
West Indies and Central America (1970)

1990's:
Amazonia (1992)
Atlantic Canada (1993)
British Columbia (1992)
China (1991)
Coastal California (1993)
Communism to Capitalism (1993)
Deep-Sea Vents (1992)
Europe (1992)
Germany (1991)
Native American Heritage (1991)
North America in the age of Dinosaurs (1993)
Portraits of our Celestial Family (1990)
Southwest USA (1992)
Soviet Union (1990)
Spain in the Americas (1992)
Water (1993)

There you go!

Andrée
Thanks for sharing the list.

What I did, and I would recommend to you is group them together in obvious chunks (Oceans, Asia, Europe, Americas, Space, Dinosaurs, China, and Close-Ups) and post them on eBay, and/or Craigslist, or some other site you may know of.
With specific maps like these, there ARE people looking for them (collector's, teachers) but you need to have them posted for some duration....as in you wouldn't expect to sell them all in 1 week's worth of lisitng them on eBay for instance. The "right" people need to be looking when you have them offerred.
OR, just list them as a whole lump group and be sure to include the breakdown list like you've shown me. Note: if any of them have been torn/damaged/spilled on, I'd say toss them, "junky" ones are worth any time-effort on your part.

- Scott
i have been collecting for a few years now, and running out of space. i have at least 2500 mag and most have the inserts, in various conditions. i also have about 300 loose inserts. my question is, are there any issues that are more valuable than others? or should i just keep the inserts to sell and donate books? how does one value inserts? again are there certain inserts that have more value than others? my collection ranges from the early 60's to present. tahnks for you time

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service