National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

I was just looking through Ebay and found a bookmark that looks like one my grandfather once had that was destroyed in a fire. Are these rare and if so, any idea as to the value. I am considering bidding on this and want to have an idea.

Views: 128

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi William,

Happy Holidays to you. Yes the Explorer II "bookmarks" are interesting item. They are made from the actual balloon in the 1930's. It is reasonable that they would be listed at, or sell for between $50 - $75, depending on actual wear-tear, and staining. The one you showed in the photo seems to look pretty good!

If they have a reserve price above $90, I'd say they are price gouging. As per "rarity", it is hard to say. Even the National Geographic Society was never able to confirm the exact or estimated qty. # issued/released. One factor too, is that some people tend to "hoard" this bookmark, thus creating a perception of more scarcity than may be realistic. Be that as it may, there are likely not that many around. I've seen a few badly damaged and stained dark; though the material is relativey durable, which is a good thing.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

kindly, Scott S. in Michigan
Thanks Scott,

I have done a little more research and you are exactly right about the price range, although I saw one offered for as much as $175.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service