National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

While perusing the January 1983 National Geographic Magazine during unrelated research, I have just found a two-sided indexed map of Washington, D.C.  I noticed that Philip Riviere does not have images of these maps posted here at the 'Corner.  Also checking several supplement lists I cannot find an entry for them.

Photo courtesy Philip Riviere

The maps are entitled "Washington Inside the Beltway" and "Heart of Our Nation's Capital".  They are perforated for removal from the magazine and on a heavier, rougher stock paper.  I believe this qualifies them as Map Supplements.  They are located between pages 92 and 99.  I do not have a camera good enough to provide images.

As I mentioned before, they are indexed.  They each have the customary number/letter grid and the indexes for both maps appear on the "Inside the Beltway" side.

And here they are courtesy of Philip Riviere:

Tom Wilson

Views: 455

Replies to This Discussion

On further review: This must be the "sales edition".  The date on the map in the index reads March 1987.  They probably sold these at HQ in DC and revised them at least once.

I just dug out and referenced Don Smith's "National Geographic Magazine: For Collectors" (1996) in my review of the January 1916 issue.  Since Buxbaum's (1971) and Nathan's (1982) do not cover the January 1983 issue/tear-out, this is the only third party reference I have in my possession to check for a citation on this item.

The book itself is little more than a pamphlet with 55 numbered pages that were hand typed (typewriter?).  It does have several additional pages of photocopied material along with drawings by the author to eliminate white space.

Searching the section on map supplements I noted, on page 12, that the author missed this item.  I still have not found a reference to this tear-out other than the three I found in the metadata.

Unfortunately, I often forget about Don Smith's publication.

Thanks for reminding Tom...

Mel

Hopefully this will be my last post on this thread.

Upon further review of the metadata, there is definitely a conflict to the description of this item between the volume index and the cumulative indices.

In the index for Volume 163 there is an entry for "Maps".  This entry lists in-magazine maps with page number/numbers but not supplement maps.  It does, however, include a reference for this DC map.  Clearly this indicates that these six pages are part of the magazine.

In the 1947-1983 cumulative index, there is no entry for in-magazine but an entry for supplement maps.  It has a reference for this map as well, indicating that this is a separate item from the magazine.

The 1888-1988 cumulative index has a similar entry with a DC map citation.

The best case explanation for this is lack of communication (left hand/right hand).  The worst case is intentionally having it both ways (cake & eating it too).

On another matter, I consulted Jeff Persons regarding his copy of the revised version of Roger Nathan's collector's guide copyrighted 2000.  Jeff states that "he does have it listed as a "detachable map"- pages 93-98.  He also states that a pocket version of this map was available at Explorers Hall."

There you have it.  Make of this item what you will.  All I know is that it was fun research it.

Tom Wilson

And there you have it Tom - the research!

Sometimes the research leads us into unchartered territory that inspires everyone; sometimes it leads us to conclusions that most accept (but not all); then there's the conclusions that most don't accept (but some do).

But the bottom line is/was did the researcher (in this instance - you) enjoy it?

I have enjoyed your enthusiasm toward this one particular subject and appreciate the time and energy devoted to finding "an" answer - one that invariably leads to confusion (like this is new???) as to the original intent of the NGS.

Thank you - and I mean this sincerely!

Mel

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service