National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Cuba October 1906: The Granddaddy of National Geographic Map Indexes

In my many posts to the group I have continued to return to one of my favorite topics, that of the map index. Besides the “standard” map index booklets for Supplement and Non-Supplement maps, I’ve also touched on other, multi-map indexes such as the one for the Atlas Series and for the Close-Up U.S.A. set. There is a third type of map index I have so far not discussed: one with the index printed on the map itself.

On page 46 of his book Collectibles of the National Geographic Society, Roger Nathan documents three such maps as part of the U.S. Atlas Series: “The U.S. Atlas Series was started in July 1964 with the publication of the Greater New York/Tourist Manhattan map. In December 1964 the Tourist Washington/Suburban Washington map was issued. The third and final map in the series is Northern California/Southern California which was issued in May 1966.”

Besides these three there was one other map printed with an index included. It predates the first map index booklet, the May 1918 Western Theater of War by over a decade. I am referring to the October 1906 map of Cuba. The index for this map is printed on the back.

Notice the map’s Letter (latitude)/Number (longitude) grid that is used in the index below to assist in locating the various points of interest.

Notes: The map image is courtesy of Philip Riviere from his postings of map and supplement images. The scan of the index is only a partial. The full index is too large for my scanner.

Yours in Collecting,

Tom Wilson

Views: 45

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service