National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

With tax and shipping I just purchased a set of 10 individual monographs for $4,145.16 (tax and shipping included). Back in the early 2000's these were listed at about $400 per issue (reference Don Smith's 2000 sales listings).

I selected the better of the two individual issues for my personal collection. My primary purpose was to establish a complete collection of “first printings.” As Richard Kennedy informed us on the forum in June 2019, the first printing had each issue labeled with Vol I, No. #. Any subsequent printing (I don't know how many subsequent printings occurred) only had No. # (no Volume indicator).

The collection I just purchased had the “one” first printing I didn’t have plus a Title Page, Table of Contents and Index I had only heard about (as being an NGS supplemental offering for the monographs).

I’m offering my second set for sale to this forum for $3,000.00 complete (shipping and insurance included) with a little description of each issue below; please communicate with me via personal messages with questions and/or interest in purchasing all or part of this collection.

If your interest is for individual issues only, rather than the entire collection, I will offer them to members of this forum for $300 each when the trial period is up, provided an offer for purchase of the entire collection has not been made - first come first serve.

After the trail period, a month on this forum starting with the date of this posting, I’m going to list them individually for $400 per issue on eBay.

Here's what I'm offering (an "X" under volume represents subsequent publishing):

Vol   No.   Condition

I      1          Poor (cover separated)

I      2          G+

I     3          VG-

X    4          VG-

I     5          VG

I     6          VG

X    7          Poor (cover separated)

I     8          G-

I     9          VG

I    10         G-

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mel,

Long time, no speak.  That was a great find and purchase, especially the index.  I remember asking whether it existed about five years ago and getting a negative response.  I'm glad it exists and congratulate you on acquiring one.  Here is a link to my original query:    Re; Physiography

Tom

Thanks Tom!

It was your posting "that I had only heard" of the supplement. When, in fact, the seller of the monographs had one in his possession.

Tom,

I went back and read your old post.

The item (Title Pg, Preface, Table of Contents, Index) appears to have been a supplemental issue in the format of the magazine volume indexes that became standard issue in 1910.

The Title Page and Preface are loose but appear to have been previously attached, all the remaining pages are attached as a booklet - which tells me this was in-fact a supplemental offering.

Mel

The collection has been claimed/sold. Thank you for your responses.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service