National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Over the years, there have been parodies of the National Geographic Magazine. I am including 4 samples (cover photos). These are the only parodies that I have so far:

1]  MAD Magazine, May 1958 - "National OSOGRAPHIC", features 5 mock pages which were but one article in that months issue.

2]  National Press Club "Inaugural Issue", January 1966 - this one was also produced in tight collaboration with the NGM and Melville Bell Grosvenor, to "celebrate" Society staff member Windsor P. Booth's promotion to the Presidency of the National Press Club; 20 pages.

3]  National Lampoon, December 1972 - the Lampoon's 3-page take on Nat Geo. Again, this is only one article within that months issue.

If anyone else has any information regarding parodies and/or photos of these or other parodies (there are more out there!), please do share!

regards,

Scott T. Shier

Views: 2692

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Not really a parody, more of an hommage to NatGeo:  Dr Suess, You're Only Old Once! (1986).  This is the first page of the story.  The setting is the waiting room of a doctor's office.  I thought it was spot on AND very cute.

Tom

11] Rainier Brewing Company, 1976 - "Northwest Beergraphic", This is a full-size advertisement poster.  Way too big for my scanner so photo is of poor quality due to my crumby cellphone.  Sorry.

12] Topps "Wackie Products", 1980 - "National Geografink", This is a Topps trading card.

BTW, I also got #10.  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Tom

Attachments:

I really like these 2 additions you've found Tom. Great sharing! I'm also gonna have to put that Dr. Seuss book on my "list".

13] Metro Times Chronicle, Spring 2012.  This is the cover of a local Detroit magazine that contains an article lamenting the National Geographic Channel's new slant towards reality-based journalism.

Tom

Thanks Scott!

Attachments:

Scott,

Here's another one of those tributes to NatGeo like the Dr. Suess one.  This one is courtesy of Dennis the Menace:

In the second of two story in the comic book entitled "Dennis Goes Exploring" the Mitchells take Dennis to Explorers Hall for a tour.  This story is followed by a feature entitled "The Cookie Jar".  In it there is much more detail about the Society, its headquarters, and the exhibits.  All in all it is very positive about the NGS.  I think you'll like it.

Tom

BTW I'm thinking of making another post on the "Outside Looking In" group that will include this, Dr. Suess, and other positive references out there to counter the negative "Breast" post I made.  It may take a while though, I'm not quite up to snuff right now. :-(

Scott,

I found these online at the deviantart website and thought I added them here. They were all created by user nottonyharrison.

14] Mediavengers, March 2011 - Marvel Comics Universe based National Geographic cover #1.

15] Mediavengers, December 2012 - Marvel Comics Universe based National Geographic cover #2.

16] Mediavengers, May 2013 - Marvel Comic Universe based National Geographic cover #3.

Tom

Attachments:

Scott,

Here is a parody NatGeo/Cosmo merger cover:

17] Vanity Fair, March 2009.  This cover was one of three in a magazine merger parody with a more serious magazine merging with a fashion/entertainment one.

Attachments:

Scott,

18] New York Times, September 2015.  Pessimistic view of the 21st Century Fox purchase of the NGM.

Tom

Scott,

I've been trying to screen capture the covers from this segment, but when I saw it September 11th I thought they belonged here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZcJ-nkkpM

Tom

Scott,

19] thru 26] HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, September 11, 2015 - Eight Parody "Fox" Covers.

Tom Wilson

Scott,

Here's an oldie that I just ran across.

27] Richard Pryor, 1968.  Cover to Richard Pryor's self titled, first comedy album.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service