National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Hi, everyone!

I've inherited 8 National Geographic leatherbounds from my father, who has recently passed away. They are, as follows:
Vol. 67 (jan-june, 1935)
Vol. 68 (july-dec, 1935)
Vol. 69 (jan-june, 1936)
Vol. 70 (july-dec, 1936)
Vol. 71 (jan-june, 1937)
Vol. 72 (july-dec, 1937)
Vol. 73 (jan-june, 1938)
Vol. 74 (jan-june, 1938)

All of them have their associated maps sans 67-70, which don't seem to have flaps for one.

I've received mixed messages on what they're worth (from $15 to $45 for a pair). I've been researching, but I figure the best place to see if anyone would be interested would be here. If the tradeoff shows them to be worth selling, I'd be willing to part with them.

I have some photos here. The singular photos are of Vol. 70; if anyone wants closeups of the others, I'd be more than happy to take them!
 Thank you!!

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mia,

I do not generally watch bound volume sales newer than 1917.

Having said this, I can tell you since August of 2012 the highest sales price (on eBay) for a 1913 complete year (just one volume for the year) was $159.95.

By comparison (to show how quickly the prices drop), the highest sales price for the complete year of 1917 (two volumes just like those you are trying to sell) was $50.

(Note: I keep track of NG magazine sales from 1888 through 1917 on eBay of loose issues AND the highest two sales of bound volumes. There are "many" sales of these bound volumes that don't come close to making my short list.)

Generally speaking, after 1920, complete years of bound volumes drop precipitously in value. Specifics that may increase their value are, leather binding versus cloth and complete issue binding, i.e. covers and ads, versus simply the numbered article pages. Of course, complete with supplements is assumed in this analysis.

I would suggest to you that the "outward" appearance of your volumes appears fair to good. Please note that there is nothing hard and fast about used book sales. You might just find that one person looking for exactly what you are selling.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Mel

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2014   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service