Just a FYI update:
As of last week, the Nat Geo online store, "ShopNG.com" has migrated to (or, been subsumed by) the Disney store. Here's the new address, to the Nat Geo category --->
Note: There are no globes, magazines, slipcases, collector's issues, atlases, and such available. You need to go to the specific map page to find the globes, and to the Books page to find a detailed (PDF, online only) catalog of a wide array of titles. You can go to NGM.com to find links to subscribe to the various magazines (but no slipcases appear available, sigh).
Meantime, the Disney/Nat Geo page has a very limited number of NG items, as compared to the inventory that was being maintained on ShopNG these past years.
or here for catalog(s),
Oh heck yeah! We are owned by Disney?
Yes. As of March 19, 2019, Disney owns National Geographic Partners LLC (73% controlling interest). Disney Corp. bought out 21st Century Fox (e.g., Fox film and TV studios, the National Geographic Channel, FX, etc).
The reason Disney buying Fox got them ownership of Nat Geo is because on Sept. 9, 2015, NGS reorganized its media properties (NGM, the Channels, its websites, Store + catalog, Books, dvd's, Mpas, merchandise, etc.) into National Geographic Partners, which would be bought and 73% owned by 21st Century Fox.
It's important to keep in mind, while Fox/Disney owns/-ed NGP, LLC, The National Geographic Society is still a wholly separate, independent, and non-profit entity devoted to research, education activities, exploration, and stewardship of our planet. 27% of the proceeds (aka "profit") NGP LLC takes in goes back to N.G.S. as part of the contractual endowment arrangement.
N.G.S. has its own website --->
National Geographic magazine --->
National Geographic website --->
Is that to say that 73% of the profits from a person's subscription go to Disney (and before that to Fox)? And before National Geographic was owned by either it all went to the National Geographic Society (or was there also a percentage that went elsewhere?).
73% of the profits go to National Geographic Partners LLC (which is owned now by Disney). So NGP gets the money primarily, in that sense. The other 27% is given to the National Geographic Society.
Before the 2015 Fox buy-out of Nat Geo media enterprises, the Magazine and other assets were owned by N.G.S. (except the Channel, which always was a partnership between NGS & Fox, going back to 1997 (international) and 2001 (U.S.).
Thank you for the info Scott!