National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Hi all this is my first post and very happy to have found this board, I have always love geography and history and about 15 years ago one of my uncles died I  asked my aunt if I could keep his NG collection, that collection was from the mid 40's to late 80's. The collection was composed from magazines only, no bound magazines, about 8 year ago my basement was flooded and as i was keeping the magazines boxed on the floor I lost almost 90% of my collection.

Since last year I have acquired a good amount of magazines and I recently got a collection from ebay(mercado libre in mexico) that goes from 1951 to 2004, the magazines from 1951 to 1983 are bound magazines, and here are my questions:

The bound editions that I got, appear to be bounded from magazines but the ads and covers are removed, my  questions:

why to remove the covers and ads from magazines ?? are they worth as a collection item more or less ? I personally prefer the magazine with cover and ads, what do you think about that.

also

I own a 1916 bound edition that has an index that covers the entire book, is this a reprint or NGS sold this bound books at the end of the year.

Thanks in advance

Rafael

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This are the bound images

Attachments:

Rafael,

At one time back in the 30's collectors didn't like ads and covers in bound volumes because they took up too much space in a bound volume. Today people like the ads for their collectibility and covers make the issues complete. Bound volumes with ads and covers are worth more today and are desired by collectors.

Your 1916 bound edition is an original. Reprints from NGS were for the years 1888 to 1907 only.

I hope this helps you out...

Best,

Phil

Rafael,

Bound volumes are less in demand than an entire volume of loose magazines.

Bound volumes with their ads and covers are slightly more desirable than bound volumes without their ads and covers.

Having said this, the most common practice for binding was to remove the covers and ads, placing each issue in sequence and obtaining the volume index (usually placed in the back of the bound volume) from the NG Society complete with Title Page, Contents and Illustrations (all usually placed in the front of the bound volume).

Your 1916 bound volume is not a reprint - it's original.

I have recently discovered that the NGS actually sold bound volumes up until the 1930's (to the best of my knowledge) so it is entirely possible your 1916 bound edition was produced by the NGS, however, there were many binderies that would bind collections for private owners, hence the variety of bindings.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Mel

Phil and Melvin

Thank you for your answers I really appreciate them and now I have more knowledge about bound editions I will post some pictures next week of my books

thanks again

Rafael

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service