National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

The July 1907 map supplement tipped into the magazine had two versions.

The first had the information posted in the top right margin stating this was a supplement for the July 1907 issue.

The second was void of this information.

I have one of each, in original issues.

I confirmed the reprint version was of the issue with the margin information included by checking my bound 1964 copies.

I was investigating this for a purchase knowing that the word "reprint" is stamped on most, but not all, map supplements for the entire run of the 1964 reprints.

The July 1907 issue with the map supplement of the polar regions was one supplement that does NOT include the word reprint. I was trying to determine any other way of differentiating an original with a reprint and thought I had it when I discovered my original did not have the margin info, until I decided to look at my second original and - there it was (with the margin info).

My first original was void of this info.

Both maps were securely tipped into their original issues.

Hence, two original versions.

Views: 509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check mime.

I truly don't know the answer - depending on Scott here...

Hi,

I was referring to the map supplements that were issued in the magazines were also sold separately as folded or rolled supplements. They were sold on paper, linen cloth, or Tyvek plastic depending on the type or age of the map. I believe the newsstand version of the magazines began sometime between 2000 and 2005.

Stephen

Sorry, I misunderstood.  In Mel's original post he states that the maps are still "tipped in" (attached) to the magazines, so they are originals not reprints.  That means that there were (at least) two production runs of the map that went out with the magazine.

Are you saying the reprints of this particular map were not attached to the magazine? Because I have the "Cotidal Lines for the World" map from a June 1906 reprint magazine which is attached.

Sorry I wasn't clear, Harold.  I should have said that since the magazines were originals and the maps were attached, the maps were, therefore, originals.  But the two maps are different, so there were two production runs.  The reprint maps are attached to the reprint magazines as well.

Harold,

You'll find my input (bottom of the first page) to the following ancient conversation interesting:

http://ngscollectors.ning.com/forum/topics/1888-1966-aeroplane-glob...

Of note is the word file linked to my comment. It specifically addresses your question. Also, now that my collection is just one issue from being complete - I can validate my research as being accurate.

Please enjoy!

Mel

Thanks, that was what i thought.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Can you send pics of it?

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service