National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

deluxe (rare + limited) edition of "125 Years" anniversary book

Here's an item I only just became aware of this past week, and I just received a reply from the seller to gain the most background info. about it that they are aware of.

item link (multiple copies avail) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121361163025?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

My question to her was if these were made for select members, staff, other misc. grandees, etc. I never saw any announcement. She offered a rather good guesstimate of "who" was to receive such copies. Her response earlier today:

Hi Scott,

I worked for a small bindery that has since closed their operations (like many small businesses, unfortunately). We did a job for a company who was commissioned by NG, and we received these limited edition books. We were to personally inscribe them (gold foil), stretch-wrap, and send back to our customer...who in turn sent them back to NG. I have never seen this version of the anniversary book, and we were commissioned to do the job back in 2012 and in early 2013. I have a feeling this may have been an edition that was given to people at the 125th Gala and perhaps NG Donors, but I wouldn't know for sure, so I'm not sure it was even meant for the public or not.
The one we have with the least amount of inscription reads "illiam" on the front.

The listing ends within 24 hours, but I'm guessing she'd re-list it. However, she didn't make the listing to reflect a "Qty.", so eBay would presume she is selling all 5 copies for the price, but she did not correct me when I stated to her that I'd be interested in bidding if she would give me the one with the least long name inscribed, along with not a female name. So she may think she is selling these 1 at a time; I've sent another message to clarify this point.

~ Scott 

Views: 124

Reply to This

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service