National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks. But I guess that makes it hard to tell.  I have a couple but they came with original issues (don't say reprint on magazine cover).  I am jusr curious,

Harold

hi Harold,

I am hastily going off the top of my head this moment, but almost all of the 1888-1907 REPRINT map supplements do have "reprint" on them . . . But - there was like 1 or 2? of them that lacked the disclaimer.

(Can someone help remind me . . . . Mel, Phil, Tom, Jeff, anyone? ha-ha). I used to have perfect instant-recall of these kinds of tidbits, but I have had some "issues" of late.

As for the other things: you mean you bought a map from the online ShopNG store? Yes, those re-issues usually bear revisions, and as such, are not strictly reprints. They also have slight color hue variation, and are on different type paper, always. They come rolled, folded, or rolled+laminated (at least many have those choice options).

- Scott 

Harold & Scott,

I found the discussion.  Mel De Vilbiss posted the info down in the comments:

http://ngscollectors.ning.com/forum/topics/question-about-reprints

You were correct, Scott.  There are two 1964 reprinted supplements without the word "Reprint" printed on them:

March 1896 - Submarine Cables of the World   and

September 1900 - North Eastern China.

Tom

ah, perfect ~ thanks Tom !

Thanks, Tom and Scott.  I'll check that post out and copy it.

Harold

Yes, I know they were "modern" reprints, I just wanted and was curious about.

Harold

...also, Harold do you collect any of the NGS books? Even since the late 1990's and into the 2000's, it's still not totally uncommon that they'll include a special reprint, or reissue, or revision of a map as a supplement to the book (*usually though it's a straight out reprint of a "classic" map).

So this way, you also have a subset, or sub-genre of Nat Geo map/supplement collecting apart from solely NGM maps...I do have a number of these book supplements. Interesting though, more times than not, the books give no indication of an accompanying supplement or insert, so unless you get them originally, or find some other evidence (like promo literature, etc.), you could get a Society book second-hand and never know you don't the supplement!

Scott,

Let's not forget the non-supplement maps with indexes (USSR, Land of the Bible Today, etc.).  You must include those as well.

Tom :-)

Scott.

I know. I did collect a lot of books, but not for several years. I found some did have maps in them.  Some like  the "Lands of the Bible Today" map were even larger.The best surprise is the "Mystical Lands of God and Heroes" /"Classical Lands of the Mediterranean." I really like that one, and the "Mystical" side was never in the magazine.I just saw Tom's reply,  I never have seen the USSR non-supplment.

Harold

Absolutely Tom ! 

...there's also a couple other instances where a map was issued w/ those old vintage membership booklets or Society messages. One comes to mind, is Lhasa pictorial was put out w/ a Society report. 

One thought I had was perhaps they were doing not only as a courtesy enticement, but as a way of clearing out some over-stock copies.

Harold, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that mythical lands of the Mediterranean poster that came with Greece & Rome - just awesome. It was available for purchase as a separate poster from Society H.Q. during the 60's, 70's. 

I want to add that my brother is a subscriber and he received the group photo issue. We are from Australia.

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service