National Geographic's Collectors Corner

Collaborative site for collectors, dealers, & anyone interested in our history.

Hello Nat Geo 'Corner,

I wish to take a moment to commemorate the fact of December 2017 being the 1,500th issue of National Geographic Magazine!

This takes into account the inconsistent issuance from 1888-1895 (36 issues), the combined double issues of 1897, and 1917, and the 13th issues put out in 1981, 1993.

A notable lot of achievements were realized through the membership dues over the many decades, and it was all on the back of The Magazine. The Society would not exist without it; this is not to be taken lightly, and deserves a moment of respect.

On a side note, I have every issue of National Geographic, and will never part with them. One of the proudest and excited moments in my life was when I received my first issue of NGM as a gift membership from my Grandmother, when I was in sixth grade. I still have Owen R. Anderson’s 4-pg. welcome letter. I loved growing up reading Gilbert M. Grosvenor’s special messages “from the President”. He really instilled a sense of value, necessity, and community in We, the members and readers of our beloved NGM.

best regards to all, 

~ Scott S.

Views: 395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scott,

I had noted this issue in a status back in November when I received it.  Phil also mentioned it when he posted the image of its cover.  This is a much more appropriate acknowledgement of this milestone, a more detailed and permanent record, so to speak.

Tom

oh, I didn't catch yours and Phil's note of it then. Sorry....I'll go back and look now.

*Actually, I sent a (paper) letter this month to both President Knell and Editor Goldberg regarding this "milestone".

Well done Scott!

Mel

: - )

Thanks, Scott! What a lovely message.

Happy New Year,

Cathy

. . . thank-you Cathy, and happy new year to you as well !

- Scott 

RSS

Members

Legal notice about this site

Note: Any sales or trade arrangements are solely between users of this site; The National Geographic Society is not a party to and does not endorse or promote any particular sales or trade arrangements between collectors, dealers, or others. Due to the immediate nature of this medium, National Geographic Online also does not review, censor, approve, edit or endorse information placed on this forum. Discussion boards on National Geographic Online are intended to be appropriate for family members of all ages. Posting of indecent material is strictly prohibited. The placement of advertisements or solicitations unrelated to National Geographic also is prohibited. National Geographic Online shall review information placed on this forum from time to time and delete inappropriate material that comes to its attention as soon as it is practicable, but cannot guarantee that such material will not be found on the forum. By posting material on this discussion board you agree to adhere to this policy prohibiting indecent, offensive or extraneous advertising material, and to legally assume full and sole responsibility for your posting.

© 2024   Created by Cathy Hunter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service